Orthodontic treatment with arch wires has got inevitable features of wires that has to be remembered and some of these features are given below:-
- Spring Back:It is the measure of how far a wire can be deflected without causing permanent deformation.It is also called elastic deflection.
- Stiffness:The presence of a low stiffness provides the ability to apply lower forces and a more constant force over time.
- Formability:The arch wire has to exhibit high formability so as to bend into desired configuration such as coils,loops etc without fracturing the wire.
- Resilience:It is the amount of force the wire can withstand before permanent deformation.
- Biocompatibility and Environmental stability:Orthodontic arch wires should exhibit resistance to tarnish and corrosion and should be non-toxic.The material should maintain its desirable properties for extended periods of time after manufacture.
- Joinability:The wire should be amenable to soldering and welding
- Friction:The Arch wire should provide least friction at the wire-bracket interface.